Do you need to spend several hundred dollars on a fly reel? I don’t think so.
You can get high-end performance at a fraction of the cost with the Okuma SLV line of fly reels.
My Grandad has told me stories of buying expensive fly reels and having the drag blow out mid-fishing trip! With that in mind, I was cautious when it came time for my first reel purchase.
I was about to graduate high school, and didn’t have the money required for the most expensive reels on the market, but found myself dissatisfied with really low-end reels that felt cheap, had a terrible drag, and (a pet peeve of mine) clicked when I reeled in the line.
A friend recommended the Okuma SLV, and I picked one up the next day.
After several years of hard use, I still enjoy fishing with this reel.
Why should you get the Okuma SLV?
- Multi-Disk Cork and Stainless Steel Drag Washers.
- Roller bearing allows the drag to engage in one direction only.
- Precision Machined Brass Bushing Drive System.
- Precision Machined Stainless Steel Spool Shaft.
- ALC: Alumilite Diecast Aluminum Frame.
- Diecast Super Large arbor spool design.
- Non-slip positive grip rubberized handle knobs.
- Easy to change left to right-hand retrieval conversion.
The Okuma SLV is lightweight, well constructed and durable.
This reel has a tight fit so as to prevent any wobbling of the spool.
There is plenty of room for your backing and line, even if the line doesn’t get spooled quite tight enough.
I might also add that it looks pretty sharp!
(This is my actual reel spooled with Cabela’s Prestige® WF Floating Fly Line.)
I recommend this reel to anyone who is looking for economically priced or entry level reel.
This reel has a tight fit so as to prevent any wobbling of the spool. There is plenty of room for your backing and line, even if the line doesn’t get spooled quite tight enough.